Sunday, October 19, 2008

"Don't Ask Questions"


Ahh! Week 1 of traveling has finished and I'm currently back in Cph (only for about 19 hrs total) and will be flying out this afternoon to Rome.

I can't even begin to describe all of my experiences (I have pages of notes and over 700 photos) and I don't want to rush whatever I do end up writing about in the future but I'll give a quick update because I know everyone is dying to hear about everything and everywhere I've been so far.

Vienna was pretty cool and had so many amazing buildings and historical areas to explore. It was great to be able to go off on our own and choose what we wanted to see. Half the fun of being in a new place is exploring it on your own, getting lost, and discovering something you weren't even looking for. Also I managed to see a couple really cool art exhibits and have fallen in love with the artist Hundertwasser.

Before we knew it, it was time to move on to Budapest and my first taste of Eastern Europe. I loved it so much and feel traveling to this part of Europe is completely underrated. This city also had a lot of great historical things to see as well as a view into the way Communism influenced different changes in Hungary as opposed to in Austria. I honestly feel like I've learned more from one afternoon in a museum with a local tour guide discussing Hungary's double occupation of the Nazis and Soviets then I have ever learned in an entire year of school. To wrap up this trip, we all went on a dinner cruise on the Danube and got to see the city at night which was extremely beautiful.

The next day we flew out to Malmo (with WizzAir!!) where Theresa and I proceeded to wait in the airport for 5 hours and fly directly back out to Krakow. While the airport was slightly miserable it gave us a break from constant walking, waking up early and moving around.

When we finally arrived in Krakow we were ecstatic to find out our hostel was literally across the street from the bus station. After checking in we went on a hunt for some food but the rain discouraged us from staying out much later. The next day we were up early to explore the city and go on a tour we'd booked to the Auschwitz and Birkenau concentration camps. I still cannot put into words how the visit was and how horrific what occurred inside truly was. The next day we had some more exploration time and went to the Jewish Quarter which only added to these feelings.

In the afternoon we headed back to Cph using a long string of transportation (Bus-Plane-Bus-Train-Metro) and finally arrived back to our friend's place where we were crashing for the night. We proceeded to do laundry (those Danish machines are still so difficult) and catch up on sleep.

In a few hours I'm off to Italy! I still can't believe that my first travel week is over but I've done so many great things and have loved almost every second. I have officially fallen in love with Eastern Europe and cannot wait to go back to Poland later this year.

In case you're worried, I have managed to document almost all of the delicious foods and desserts I have eaten (Food is Culture!!) and will perhaps do an entire food blog at some point haha.

So, so many more blogs to come (but not until November probably)!

No comments: